Thursday, October 6, 2011

Signs of the Season

I know the blogosphere lately has been all abuzz with pumpkin concoctions, warm oats, and hot flavored coffee…fall is FINALLY here praise the Lord!

I was chatting with my sister today and mentioned that October was my favorite month because of the weather and because of my birthday.  And she said, “Well, my birthday is in November and it’s not my favorite month.  My favorite month is SUMMER!”  ha ha….

I explained that living in Mississippi in the summer with our 115* days and 95* nights pretty miserable, as she might remember.  She said she did.  And she didn’t blame me for liking October.

Around here, October also welcomes hunting season.

IMG_3912 Which means I can welcome plenty of alone time since I am what we call a deer woods widow.  The wife who loses her husband to the deer woods every weekend.

IMG_3913 Sidenote:  This is Katie.  Short for Katherine Anne.  I named her when my friend Tim got her as a tiny baby puppy.  She is precious.  Not the best hunting dog ever, but she sure is cute.

IMG_3917 Anyway, after Tom’s obsession with the garden subsides, he trades in his gardening hoe or bow and arrow and spends all his spare time in the deer woods. 

IMG_3919But I don’t mind too much….it’s healthy to have hobbies, and it just gives me more time to do the really important things in life…like watch Criminal Minds while eating M&Ms and popcorn. 

IMG_3922 For the sake of responsible journalism, I should tell you that these particular pictures were taken back on Labor Day weekend at the dove field. Dove season begins the Saturday before Labor Day, and deer season begins October 1.

IMG_3929 Duck season begins the day after Thanksgiving, for those of you who care. And my husband hunts all three as often as possible.

IMG_3942 Opening weekend of Dove Season is kind of a kick-off to the fall…everyone gets together in the field and hangs out and watches the dogs retrieve and has a beer or two.

IMG_3954 It’s always a fun day!

IMG_3961      IMG_3989

Another sign of the season is I’ve got all my Halloween decorations out! 

IMG_4248

I was a little overzealous this year and put them out on like September 25.  I just couldn’t help it!IMG_4250

Here are the good ‘ole shelves!  They’re really starting to grow on me now that I’ve figured out that the black frames with black and white pictures is the way to go. 

IMG_4251

IMG_4252       

 

IMG_4254

I always get a lot of compliments on these little guys…vases filled with candy corn.  And it never fails…every year someone reaches down in there and grabs a handful before I can stop them.  These candy corn are three years old and are for decorative use only!  Maybe I need a sign… “Please do not eat the decorations.”  Ha ha…

I got these little ghosty guys at Hobby Lobby this year.  LOVE Hobby Lobby, I could live there.

IMG_4253    And I got this candy-pumpkin-filled-candy-corn dish (say that three times fast) at the Dollar General for $1.  Another reason I love Halloween…an excuse to keep candy out in the open.IMG_4255

Another sidenote about my living room:  My new chair came in!  Replaced Old Brownie with this beauty!!!!

IMG_4249

I love it.  I stare at it with a goofy grin every time I walk into the room.  IMG_4246

Old Brownie has gone to live at my in-law’s Guest House…also known as The Place Where All Tom’s Old Furniture Goes To Die.  :-/

I spruced up the outside of our house too!

IMG_4256IMG_4259 3 fake pumpkins + $1 harvest garland + tons of hot glue = Pumpkin Topiary!

IMG_4260 Orange fabric + black felt + Clip Art templates = Halloween pillows!

IMG_4261 These pillows were SO easy and cost less than $7 to make for both of them.  And I still have fabric leftover.  I just got some super cheap orange knit fabric at Hobby Lobby.  Along with some black felt.

IMG_4262 I made the pillow covers, and simply cut out the cat and bats using a template I printed off of Microsoft Word Clip Art.  Then glued them to the pillow cover with fabric glue!  So easy and cute, if I do say so myself. 

IMG_4263 (try not to be too jealous of my Dirty-McDirtyton rocking chairs)IMG_4265  Happy Fall Y’all!!!

IMG_4275

No comments:

Post a Comment