Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Bathroom: Before and After!

Happy HUMP Day everyone!

So I had planned to do a cute little B&A of a special someone but that special someone was not cooperating in the picture department so it'll have to wait.

INSTEAD since the Bathroom is finished and yall have heard me gripe about it long enough, let's see some photos, shall we?

First, here's me, doing some holiday baking last night. I made these toffee bars from The Pioneer Woman's website. Delish. I am on a PW kick lately.

Isn't this apron too much? I collect aprons, and Myra gave me this one for my birthday. I felt very festive while baking, wearing this apron, and listening to a Charlie Brown Christmas in the background.
Okay so moving on. Here are a few pictures of the bathroom BEFORE.
Tunica is notorious for ugly, dated, bathrooms. Any Tunicans out there nodding your heads? It's true, you know it is. Our bathroom was canary-yellow tile with black and white toile wall paper.

Now I realize toile wallpaper isn't for everyone, but I have a very traditional style taste, and I actually like it.

Besides, we made the most of the yellow/black/white combo with some monogrammed towels and shower curtain.

To be fair, I should say that one redeeming quality of this bathroom was the amount of storage. See?

But, for whatever reason, this cabinet NEVER stayed closed. The hinges were old or something.

Okay, now we'll get down to the real reason we decided to remodel.

I cannot believe I am about to post these pictures the world wide web for all to see. In reality I should destroy them, never to be seen again, and then hang my head in shame for the rest of my life because of the embarrassingness of this mildew situation.

Are you sitting down?

Are you ready?

Here goes nothin'....

Whew, I'm glad that's over.

Let me be clear that we are not dirty people. We are clean people. While you may find the occasion golden-retriever-hair-ball on my hardwoods, I keep a good house for the most part.

Our problem in the bathroom was that the tub and tile were so old (so old = about 70 years old) that the original sealant had worn completely off, therefore making it a mildew-producing machine in that shower.

Try as we might, we would scrub the shower and tub clean, only to have mildew about three days later. No joke. It was simply too old in there.

Plus, the shower head was situated at a height that is only okay for people 5 foot-7 inches and under. Tom is about 6'1".
So let the demo begin....

We pulled a trailer up to our back door and the sledge hammers went a-flyin'!

R.I.P. black toile wallpaper. We will miss you!
There was nothing wrong with our toilet...it was only about 1 year old. So we kept it. Here it sat during demo. On my patio. Classy, eh?

"Hey everyone...come on over to our house! Potty on the Porch!"

get it....POTTY instead of Party?!?! Oh, never mind. Mama....some privacy please?!?!

So hold on to your hats for the final BEFORE: And now the AFTER (as the heavens open up and sing the Hallelujah Choras)!!!! Isn't she beautiful?

I fell in love with some towels I found at TJ Maxx/HomeGoods in Brentwood, TN. We based the wall color off of the green in the towels. It's a little brighter than what I had in mind, but I am going to live with it for a while to see if it grows on me.

Then I found this very simple shower curtain at Target. The simplicity of the design and the colors tones down the green paint a little. The shower tile is a classic white glazed subway tile with a decorative trim. All our hardware is brushed nickle. Speaking of hardware...check out the shower head! It comes right out of the ceiling like a rain shower! Love. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN is all I can think of when I see this bright white tile!

And the new cabinet is so organized and awesome...and the doors stay closed! I had these black and white apothecary accessories from Pottery Barn. They were on our wedding registry and I love them so (even though there's nothing else black and white in the bathroom now!) I'm gonna roll with them. One last time....

BEFORE:


AFTER: Now that I have sufficiently grossed you out I hope you enjoyed my B&A on the bathroom!!

I must give a big shout-out to Atwood Construction who did the entire project! They are the best! If you live in the Delta and are in the market for a reliable, patient, economical builder Brian Atwood is THE MAN.

Message me for his contact info. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment