Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Christmas Dining Room: B&A

!!WOWEE!!

You guys love me, huh?

I have gotten so many sweet comments about my bathroom (there's a sentence I never thought I'd write on the Internet)!!!! So many, in fact, that I've decided to do a post about yet another room in my house so y'all can feed my ego a little more.

So here we go...The Christmas Dining Room!

I love to set my dining room table for the Christmas season. Our dining room is right off the kitchen, so I like to have it decorated all month.

One thing I always look for is a pretty holiday table runner. Last year, I found a little cheap one, but it wasn't very 'dressy.' Was very casual.

So this year I was on the lookout again. But most of the more formal runners I found were either too expensive or just not the right fit for the look I was going for.

Until I ran across some fabric on sale at Joann's. It was a red Christmas toile (yes, again with the toile...I told you I was traditional) that would look perfect on my Christmas table. So $7 and a yard and a half of fabric later, away I went with my new fabric runner.

I do not have a sewing machine, but left the store with intentions to make my own table runner out of the fabric. So I bought some liquid stitch which you can find in any craft store for around $3/tube.

Here's how I did it:
1.) Cut the fabric in half LONG-WAYS
2.) Place fabric face-down on a flat clean surface. Using a very precise ruler as your guide, fold a hem in the fabric (you can see in the picture that my very precise ruler was my spray-paint covered index finger).
3.) Place a small dot of liquid stitch (about the size of a pea) under the hem and press down with your finger. Repeat every two or three inches along the entire length of both sides of both pieces of fabric. Did you get all that? Basically you're just hemming the fabric all the way around with your liquid stitch.
4.) Do the same hemming on ONE END of each piece of your fabric. You are going to glue the other ends together, thus making one nice long strip of fabric. Make the corners as pretty as mine, if you can handle it.

5.) Let the liquid stitch dry for about 30 minutes and iron all the edges so they lay flat. Don't forget to iron that middle seam, too! If your middle seam isn't perfect don't worry. This will be in the middle of the table where you'll probably have a centerpiece so no one will ever see it!
And there you go.....your homemade-no-sew-table-runner!

Reba is ready for a nap after all this crafting.

In the picture above you can see mine is pretty long because I have a long table. But you just do your own math and figure out how long yours needs to be. Remember you want it to hang over the edges a little on each end.

So here's the dining room BEFORE Christmas got a hold of it:
I had food out for a Girl's Night I had a while back.
And here it is AFTER:I went with gold and silver and the only other color in there is my red toile runner. Sorry this picture is kinda blurry.Oh, here....this one's better. My centerpiece is a simply footed bowl filled with gold ornaments. And the gold globe candle holders I got for $20 at Garden Ridge last year. $20 for all three! I use them year-round. Then there are three sparkly gold ornaments hanging from the chandelier with red ribbon.
At each place setting I did a gold charger, my silver and white China, and a martini glass. With a gold ornament in it. This is random, I know, but it works.
My wedding china is Very Wang Imperial Scroll and I love it! It works so well with so many themes and colors!
I bought these gold bird napkin holders last year and they remind me of the Partridge in the Pear Tree! Our napkins were wedding gifts from Pottery Barn.
So there you have it...our Christmas Dining Room Before and After!
B&A week will close tomorrow and I'm sure you are all so very disappointed. I have had fun doing it, and hope yall have enjoyed a little peek into our lives.
One of the reasons I chose to do B&A week now is because I wanted to take a week of from exercising after the half-marathon. Next week I hope to get back on the wagon and get back to blogging about some more fitness-related stuff!
Have a great Thursday, everyone, the weekend's almost here!

No comments:

Post a Comment