Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Tunica: BOR-ing.....

I am very boring today. Do you ever have those days? Days where you feel like you don't really contribute anything to the world? Well, that's me today. Except for I'm having a pretty good hair day. That's something.
Bex and I went to Batesville over the weekend to run with our friend Lauren. The plan was to do 8 miles, but I was out of my comfort zone and had new shoes so I only made it about 4 miles. Lame, I know. I have figured out it is never a great idea to run super-far in brand new shoes. I love my shoes, but needed to ease them into my ruthless training routine. Here are my lovely shoes I found for $15 off at Amazon.com:Then today our plan was to do 10 but I only did 8. What is up with me?! Guess I might be getting a tiny bit burned out. But no worries. I am not worried about getting to 13.1 miles by my half marathon on Janurary 9th.
Oooo-ooooo....one more thing I just thought of that I can contribute to the world today. A super-easy and super-healthy recipe for your Thanksgiving table. One pot, four ingredients, 20 mintues and voila! Very impressive Mashed Sweet Potatoes. I call this Weeknight Easy, Thanksgiving Potential. Tom says that sounds like a good name for a cook book! Maybe I'll make my cookbook my next project after this blog becomes wildly famous and popular.
Below is the recipe. Disclaimer: as far as I know, I totally made this up. If some of you sweet potato lovers out there recognize it as your own, I'm sorry, but I really did make this up in my own little kitchen with Tom's help.
Ingredients:
3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup 2% milk
4 T. butter
4 T. brown sugar
Instructions: In a large pot, cook sweet potatoes and milk, covered, for about 15 minutes on medium to medium-high heat. Add butter and stir or mash with a potato masher. Cover and cook 5 more minutes. Add brown sugar and mash 'em up to desired consistancy. DONE!
Clearly the sweet potato is one of the best veggies out there nutritionally, and I like this recipe because it does not denote the nutrients with TONS of sugar and butter, but just enough to make it yummy and Thanksgiving-ish. If you wanted to go a little less-figure-friendly and take this to a dinner party or Thanksgiving at the in-laws, you could mash the potatoes ahead of time and refrigerate in a casserole dish. The day of, top with a few marshmellows, melted butter, and more brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, whatever. Bake at 350 for like 30 or 40 mintues to warm it through and toast the marshmellows. Easy, yummy, and impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment