Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thankful

I am so guilty of jumping up on the Whoa Is Me Bandwagon, only to be followed by throwing myself a big 'ole PITY PARTY.


Often times, when things don't go exactly my way, or I can't get something done on time and correctly, I pout. When I'm out of money or Tom does something to make me mad, I pout. When there aren't enough hours in the day, I pout. What can I say....it's the only child in me, I guess!

But this fall, and the holiday that is upon us, has made me realize all the many, many, things that God has blessed me with. This afternoon I will load up my husband and my fur daughter and drive the length of the state of Tennessee to see my family and friends in Knoxville, and I could not be more content!


I am really looking forward to a few days of relaxing, eating, running, football-watching, and catching up with all the crew in Knoxville!


A week or so ago, Julie did a post about holiday traditions. As a newlywed, she is looking to start some new Thanksgiving and Christmas traditions with her new hubby. What are your favorite holiday traditions? Do you something every year on Thanksgiving day, or are you doing good to get out the door with a casserole dish in tact? I would love to hear what your family does every year....


When I was growing up, my mom and I would always get up early to start the turkey. She had this old, old page of a magazine circa 1990, I think, with a recipe on it for basted turkey. I can see that magazine page in my mind now...with frayed edges and melted butter splattered all over it!


The recipe called to for the turkey to be cooked low and slow, and be basted every 20 minutes. Talk about a high-maintenance bird! But we would turn on the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on the kitchen TV, and baste away all morning. Then, the National Dog Show would come on....still basting....and lastly, Miracle on 34th Street...three hours later and only half way through the Day-O-Basting.



Even though it's probably the most labor-intensive way to cook a turkey, we would do it every year and I loved it. Something about being the kitchen with your mom, chopping potatoes and onions, wearing aprons and messy hair, drinking coffee, and of course...basting a bird....it all just screams !THANKSGIVING! to me.



Now that I'm married, we try to come home to Knoxville for Thanksgiving so that we can spend Christmas in our home in Tunica. My mom likes to come to Tunica for Christmas, so we go to my dad's for Thanksgiving.


My dad has adult-onset diabetes, so he is very conscious about his health. He has loved to see me make my transformation from couch potato to half-marathoner, to triathlete. So our new tradition is to get up *early* (like, earlier than required to do the bird-basting as mentioned above) and go to the annual Hot to Trot 5K in Knoxville.


We let Tom sleep in (because only when we're out of town does he let himself sleep late!) and Dad and I pile in his car and drive the 20 minutes to the race site. Last year I did the 5K, and this year I'm going to try for the 10K. Dad usually runs the first couple miles with me (he has bad circulation in his legs/feet due to the diabetes and can't run for too terribly long) and then cheers me on at the finish line.


I love race atmospheres anyway, but there is something extra special about a Thanksgiving Day Race. I love the early morning air, the energy from the crowd, the idea of what the rest of the weekend holds, and the best part...spending some great one-on-one time with my Dad Bean.


And lastly, the Thanksgiving tradition that Tom and I have started (okay, well, technically I started and Tom rolls his eyes) is to take our Christmas card picture on Thanksgiving day. Let me just tell you that I. Love. A. Christmas card.


Us Tunicans send out photo Christmas cards like it's nobody's business. It's almost a contest to see who can come up with the cutest card and picture of their family. Last year I had 100 cards printed and sent out every single one! This year will be no different.


So on Thanksgiving day, I make Tom get out of his sweats and football-watching attire, brush his Grizzly Adams hair, trim the beard a little, and put on his most spiffy pair of Carhardts (this is dressing up for us, people). We bribe Reba with a treat, and brush her ears so they look just right. Then, find a picturesque spot for the back ground, and have my dad click away on the camera!
Here is our 2008 picture, first Christmas together! Reba was only about 3 months old when this picture was taken, so she was easy to contain and photograph.
Fast forward one year later, and she's an energetic 15-month old who's easily distracted:
After a few attempts to wrangle Reba into looking at the camera.....
We decided to do a two-picture card and use these two:



*I tried to upload our proof from last year to show yall but it wouldn't let me*

I hope each of you have a wonderful day tomorrow, and are able to take time to think, pray, meditate, whatever you want to do...on the things you have to be thankful for. Please remember those who are without loved ones on this holiday, and hold tight to your loved ones around you.

I am thankful for YOU today!

No comments:

Post a Comment