Friday, December 4, 2009

Tunica: I'm baaaa-aaaack!

Whooooooaaaa....long time no post! I mean, my email box and my voicemail have been FLOODED with loads of adoring readers who have missed my blogging terribly. Kidding, of course. But I think Tom did say the other day, 'Hey, you haven't updated your blog in a while.' So here I am. Updating. And with quite a few updates to share....
First of all, as you noticed Bex and I ran our longest run ever of 12 miles. We were so proud of ourselves by the end of it we couldn't even speak! Or maybe it was the gasping for breath and limping into the driveway that kept us from talking. In all seriousness, we had a great 12-mile run and felt petty decent when it was over. We ran 6, took a water break. Ran another 6. By the 11th mile I was thinking, "I am OVER this run. Ready to be done now, please and thank you." So I was able to pick up the pace a bit. That, combined with the Black Eyed Peas blasting on my iPod is what got me through that last mile and a half. After our run, I had to go to work all day and let me tell you I did not feel 100% normal until late Wendesday night. Now I understand why most races are scheduled on Saturday mornings...you have two full days to recouperate and get back to normal!
Speaking of last Wednesday night....after work Tom and I hit the road to the lovely city of Knoxville, home town to the famous Laura Estelle Frazier Withers. Thursday morning my dad and I decided to run the Thanksgiving Day Hot-to-Trot 5K put on by the nice folks at Fleet Feet of Knoxville. It was such a GORGEOUS Thanksgiving morning, so I dragged Winston out of bed as the sun was coming up and coerced him to the start line. This was the first year for this race, so they expected about 150-200 people. They wound up with over 1000 runners that morning! A huge success for this race, so I'm sure they will do it over and over for years to come. Something about Thanksgiving morning makes you want to run....I think it has something to do with knowing you're going to be a worthless football-watching-couch-holding-down-turkey-eating-and-wine-drinking-grommet for the next three days. Why not start the holiday season out by burning off a couple hundred calories to off set the thousands you're going to consume in the coming weeks? So anyway, I finished the 5K (3.1miles) in 29:59. Under a 10 minute mile, thankyouverymuch. So I was happy with that. AND I got to spend some good QT with my good 'ole Daddy-o so all in all it was a very successful morning.
After the race we went home and I got to cookin'! I made two pumpkin pies, an Rendezvous plate, a spinach dip, and homemade pita chips to take to Louise's house for the big meal. I wanted to share my pita chip recipe because (unlike everthing else on my T-day menu) they are very figure-friendly, and a great alternative to store-bought chips.

Ingredients:
1 pack whole wheat pitas
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
seasonings of your choice....I used garlic salt and fresh cracked pepper. I have also made them with rosemary and thyme. Just use whatever you have on had, or whatever is your favorite.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Cut pitas into triangles. See how the pitas are pockets? Separate those two layers so you have a flat, crispy chip. Each of the two layers should give you 6 triangles for a total of 12 triangels per pita. Spread pita triangles on cookie sheet. Brush with olive oil. Sprinkle seasonings liberally all over. Bake for 10-12 minutes.

Easy and impressive. People are always impressed and think you slaved all day when you tell them 'these chips are homemade.' Ha ha, joke's on them cause it's soooooo easy. I hope all of you and your families had a great Thanksgiving holiday with lots to be grateful for!

Now I have to give another shout out to my sweet friend Bex whom I am so very thankful for this year! If it weren't for her I never would have started running again thus never blogging about it. And what a tragedy that would have been, yes? I feel lucky to have a friend who will get up before the sun does, drive 15 mintues to my house, and run with me. I enjoy her company because we go at the same pace, talking and laughing the entire way! I hope we will be able to run together for many years to come. Tomorrow is her first Half-Marathon, and I am so proud of the progress she's made and the dedication she has shown. Yall, this time last year she was only walking on a tredmill, and was probably thirty pounds heavier with baby weight. Now a skinny-minny size 4, she will cross that finish line tomorrow with a smile on her face! Way to go Bex, I am thankful for you and even more proud of you! Love ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment