Thursday, March 4, 2010

Braggy McBraggerton

So I recently read on another blog that shall remain nameless where the author lost about 30 pounds. The main focus of her blog is not about health and fitness at all, so she didn't mention anything about her weight. Until her readers (she has like a bazillion followers) started noticing the change in her pictures and asking her "WTH?!!? When and how did you get so skinny, sistafriend?"

So she posted about how she lost the weight (shockingly enough, through diet and exercise). She started the post by telling her readers that she hadn't mentioned anything until now because she didn't want to come across as bragging or fishing for compliments.

Um, WHY NOT?!

Do you think it's annoying and self-centered of me to have this blog centered around fitness and weight loss?

I want to be clear that I don't think of my blog as a forum for me to talk about how awesome I am like I'm some kind of authority on fitness and weight loss. Cause I'm not. I'm just someone who has been carrying around an extra 20 (okay we're all friends, let's be honest....closer to 30) pounds since high school and I'm DONE with it!

When I started this blog, it began as a way to keep myself accountable. Once news is out in cyber world, and strangers are reading what you write, you gotta walk the walk if you get my drift. And it's been great motivation for me. Then once the WW began and I started to see changes, it turned into "I can't believe this is finally working and I need to share it with the blogosphere!" and I wanted to spread that good news to other girls out there who I know have shared the same struggle that I have.

So I say all this because.... I have a story that I want to share that is nothin' but BRAGGING on myself. Ha Ha.

My mom is also doing WW. Those of you that know her are probably thinking, “Um excuse me but WHY would she do Weight Watchers? She is abnormally beautiful as she is.” I agree. But she really just had a few vanity pounds she wanted to shed.

She is most comfortable at a size 4 or 2…she is naturally very petite…and had gotten past that. So she started WW a few weeks ago and has had consistent weight loss every single week! I am so proud of her she’s lost like 6 pounds and only has a few more to go.

As a result she has a few pairs of pants that are too big for her now. So she sent them to me. I was skeptical.

Laura (whining) : “Mo-ooooooommmmm…I am NOT going to be able to get into those pants.”

Mom (always the optimist): “Well, if you don’t fit into them now, I know you will in a couple of weeks.”

Laura (never one to turn down free clothes): “Hmph. Okay fine.”

So the package of pants came yesterday. Two pairs of Gap jeans and two pairs of dress pants from Ann Taylor. All size 6.

Insert ‘JAWS’ theme song here.

Size 6 is my nemesis. I have been pretty convinced I will never see a size 6 again as long as I live. But I reluctantly opened the package and tried on the pants anyway. Reba and Dolly were in the room with me looking at me like, “Come on Mama, you can do it!”

Black pair of dress pants: FIT. Whhhhhhaaaaaaaat?!?!?!?! I was amazed. Surely they were mis-sized. Maybe it was a fluke. Or the fact that they were black. Black pants = can’t go wrong.

So I tried on the next pair.

Brown pair of dress pants: FIT AGAIN! Double Whhhhhhaaaaaattt!?!?! It wasn’t a fluke. I have now successfully gotten into TWO pairs of size 6 pants. VICTORY!

You can see in the picture they are high-waisted with a wide leg, so that helps. But whatev, a size 6 is a size 6.
Now for the true test. The jeans.
More ‘JAWS’ music.

Now for the whammy….BOTH PAIRS OF SIZE 6 JEANS FIT ME. Button and all. And here’s the best part….no muffin top. This is not only a victory…this is a GOLD MEDAL! I can easily remember a time when I looked like a busted can of biscuits in a size 10. And just three short months ago Laura’s butt in a size 8 equaled two pigs fightin’ under a blanket.
But not anymore and NEVER AGAIN!
Isn’t it great to know that in order to get into a size 6 all you have to do is eat like a rabbit and run about a thousand miles a week? Just kidding. It isn’t that bad but it does take hard work and dedication. No fad diets here.

Even thought these pants fit, I am not out of the woods yet. I think these two brands are pretty forgiving. Like, if someone asked me 'what size are you?' I would probably say 8 and try on an 8. With hopes of having to say, "Oh, these are too big. I need a 6."

Hahahahahah.

Okay I have a recipe for yall that I got out of a Weight Watchers cook book. Whatever you do, dont go to this website and compare my recipes to hers. Her food is much better and so are the pictures. Ha ha....I am just using a good 'ole point-and-shoot camera so the pictures aren't anything special.

Easy Chicken Parmesan (6 points)

Ingredients:

  • 2 chicken breasts or cutlets
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 1/2 cup of tomato sauce (home-made or out of the jar)
  • shredded mozzarella cheese
  • fresh basil

Directions:

  • Spray skillet with cooking spray. Heat skillet on stove on medium-high heat. Trim chicken of fat, and place between cutting board and wax paper. Pound to 1/8-1/4 inch thick. This is simply to make even cooking easier. If you don't want to do this you don't have to but I recommend it.
  • Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place chicken, seasoned side down, in skillet.
  • Brown on each side (approx. 5 minutes per side, depending on how thick your chicken is)
  • Place chicken in casserole dish in a single layer. Cover with tomato sauce and cheese. Microwave for 2-3 minutes on high.
  • Sprinkle basil on top. Fresh is best, but I only had dried and it was fine. Serve! Sorry, I accidentally deleted the picture of the finished product. :(

I was lazy so I used jarred Home Style Tomato-Basil sauce.

Yes, it is Kroger brand and yes, I am on a grocery budget. This sauce is pretty good and of course economical. I made my 'Single Poor Girl's Pasta' the other night because Tom was at a meeting. It was so good! 'Single Poor Girl's Pasta' is just 1 cup of whole wheat penne with this sauce and a little cheese. It is a great quick-and-low-point dinner when you're eating solo!

And I use this cheese:It is only 2 points for 1/3 of a cup which is great!

So there you have it. Happy Friday everyone!

It's supposed to warm up this weekend so GET OUTSIDE why doncha?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment