Sunday, March 21, 2010

Mock One: Results

Well, good news...we survived our first 'triathlon.' Although it was not the usual race atmosphere (Bex and I were the only participants) we had a good time and were proud of ourselves for simply finishing. It took us a little longer than we had hoped, but that's alright because we did out best and at this point that's all that matters.
The weather could not have been better. Partly cloudy and breezy, about 69-71 degrees the whole time. Perfect!
We started out our morning by getting Erin (my BFF and neighbor) to give us and our bikes a ride to the gym so we could swim, and then bike directly after. Erin's five-year-old son, Webb, rode with us and was very interested in our 'race' that morning.
Webb: "Miss Laura, are you and Miss Rebecca runnin in a race?"
Laura: "Well, yes, I guess you could say we are running in a race."
Webb: "I really hope you win. Do you get a trophy if you win?"
Laura: "No, no trophy today."
Webb (looking inquizitive): "Okay. Well, if you win I'll give you my Chuck E. Cheese Medal. And a VALENTINE."
Laura: "Awesome! Thank you so much Webb!"
Webb: "Okay Miss Laura so when you see me later don't forget to tell me if you won so I can give you your medal."
What a sweet soul he is.
So anyway, once we were at the aquatic center, it was on! Here are a few FAQ's about our first (fake) triathlon!
How long did each leg take you?
The swim was 1/4 mile long, which is only about 400 meters. This took us 10:18. Just to give you a point of reference, Micheal Phelps set a world record in the 400-meter IM at the 2008 Bejing Olympics. He finished it in 4:03. Hmph.
The bike was 12 miles long and it took us 57 minutes. The bike leg we hoped to finish in 40-50 minutes so the 57 minute finish was disappointing for us. Bex was having major issues with her bike gears, and that slowed her down drasticlaly. I know if both of us had been going to full steam ahead, we would have pushed each other to a better tine.
The run was 3.1 miles and took us exactly 31 minutes. This is a 10 minute mile for the run, so we were very pleased about this.
What did you wear?
For the swim, obviously we just wore bathing suits, goggles, and swim cap. We wanted to make our transistions as quick as possible. After the swim we dried off, threw on our bike shorts over our suits, along with t-shirts and a light long-sleeve shirt. Plus socks and tennis shoes. We wore this outfit for the bike, along with our super-cool helmets.
For the run leg, we just took off our long sleeves and ran in shorts and Tshirts. For my real triathlon in May, I will purchase what they call a 'Tri Suit.' A Tri Suit is basically a wet suit with bike padding in the shorts. It is quick-drying so you can wear the same thing for the entire race, thus making your transistion areas quick and easy.
What did you eat before/after/during the race?
Like any other workout, I ate my Luna Bar and Emergen-C, pre-race. I have found a new Luna Bar flavor that is the Bomb.com. Blueberry Bliss. It is ssooooooo yummy. Like a blueberry granola bar with blueberry jam on top with icing drizzled over it. And it's good for you! Only 3 WW points, ladies.
After the bike leg, I was starving and Bex felt a headache coming on. So we each ate a HammerGel. I had Apple Cinnamon and she had Vanilla. She said the second the gel got in her stomach she could feel her headache subside. The caffeine and a few calories did the trick. Remember to refrigerate your HammerGel up until you eat them. They are better COLD!
Once we were done with the final leg, the run, I had some water and a Muscle Milk. And I felt really good! Not too exhausted, but still felt like I had gotten in a really good (and I mean REALLY good) workout.
How did you FEEL during each leg?
Swim: Since the swim was first, I thought it was the easiest. And it was very short. I am a bad swimmer, so it will always be a challenge for me. I just concentrated on getting in a rythm, stretching those arms as far out as I could, and getting my breathing down pat. It was not leisurly, but I wasn't dying either.
Bike: I did fine on the bike. But poor Bex was having serious issues with her gears slipping. I found a good pace, and just enjoyed the day while she was just laboring away. Bex and I always stay at the same pace in every sport. We always start together and ususally finish within seconds of one another so I knew her slow biking was not due to her athletic ability, but her bike instead. I probably could have pushed myself and fininshed in a more reasonable time, but I really wanted to stay within sight of Bex because she is my partner! The bike was hard, but I felt good. My hiney did not get too sore as I feared it would. And my legs felt strong and steady the whole time.
Run: The run was the hardest I think simply because it was last, and our bodies were starting to crave more hydration and calories. We had our HammerGels prior to the run, but I am definitely going to need more than that for the Olympic distance. Although we finished the run in a really good time, it was hard. We were really pushing it. Usually Bex and I trot along at a leisurly pace, but not this time. We both had our eyes on the prize, trucking away with iPods a'blaring. I was really wearing down around the half-way point of the run. But two quotes kept ringing in my ear:
"You feel that pit in your stomach? That pain is fear leaving the body. That pain is CHANGE taking place." Jillian Michaels
"When you feel it get hard you just have to push through it. You just have to push through it or else you'll never improve." Jacob the guy that works at the gym (sorry Jacob I don't know your last name).
So needless to say when we crossed our imaginary finish line it was a relief. We were both pleased with our finish, and just the fact that we DID IT! Three sports in one workout is an accomplishment in itself, and we feel good about it.
If someone had told me a year ago that I would be able to swim, bike, and run (ANY distance) all in one workout, I would have said, "This 180-pound fat butt? I don't think so. Pass the gravy." Ha!
Here are some pictures of Bex and I with our bikes after the finish.
Don't we look like Lance Armstrong?
The rest of my afternoon was lovely. I got to spend it with this cutie:
We ran some errands together while her mommy got her nails done and did some shopping. Then all got together at my in-law's to celebrate Sara Whit's birthday.
Steak+Potatoes+wine+birthday cake= the perfect way to end the day. Plus some fun time with the fam never hurts.
A lot of people say Lilly looks like her Uncle Tom! What do you think?
I hope you all had a great weekend! Talk soon, friends!
Oh, ps....if you have any questions just leave it in a comment and I'll answer them in a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment