Thursday, February 17, 2011

Shlumpadinka

I read this post by Tina over at Carrots 'N Cake yesterday that was an eye-opener for me.

See, even though I have my little monthly goals, and I have my little blog to hold me accountable, and I have a feel-great weight that I need to maintain, I have been totally, completely, utterly, 100% unmotivated lately.

And it started to show this morning when I worked up a sweat getting into my jeans. Can I count that as my workout for the day? Wrangling my jiggly bottom into my too-tight Essential Fit Gap Jeans? Second Skin Fit is more like it.


So this post by Tina made me realize my problem. Even though I have not trained for anything in over two months, I have a bad case of Runner Burnout.

In my case it was more like Exercise-In-General Burnout. It's so weird...although I know I won't regret it, and I know I'll feel good afterwards, and I know I'll feel guilty if I DON'T get in a workout, I still have to talk myself into it.

I miss the days when I was excited about a workout, and looked forward to seeing results on the scale and in the way my clothes fit. I miss just popping out of bed and hitting the open road. I used to feel a sense of anticipation with a new running outfit or a new playlist on my iPod. And now...nothing.

A few weeks ago I posted that I was 'excited' about some new goals for February. That was a lie. I was trying to talk myself into getting 'excited' about the gym's Fitness Challenge and the Move It Memphis 10K coming up. I thought that if I said it on the blog then it would become true.

That I would, in my heart of hearts, become 'excited' about these fitness goals. And again...nothing.


I have to give myself a serious pep talk to peel off my pajama pants and get outside. Maybe it's the weather? Maybe it's some sort of Seasonal Affective Disorder? Or maybe it's just me.


But something needs to be done. And quick...before I enter the category of shlumpadinka. I'm just one fist full of butterscotch chips away and it's starting to worry me.


So all of this got me thinking...maybe I should train for something? Maybe that would get me in a better mood and headed toward my feel-great weight?


The Nashville Music City Marathon and Half Marathon are coming up in about 10 weeks. I could definitely get back in Half-Marathon shape in 10 weeks. I found some schedules online that seem pretty attainable:
The only thing that's really holding me back from this....is that the past month or so I've kind of enjoyed not having a 'plan' to stick to. To be able to go to the gym and simply spend time on the elliptical and not worrying about getting in miles on the road.

But then again, look at where that's gotten me.

Shlumpadinka-ville.

So I haven't fully decided what I want to do, but I do think it would be good for my psyche (and good for my jeans) to train for this half. And the thought of doing a half-marathon in one of my favorite cities has a nice ring to it.

So we'll see....the jury is still out on this decision. What would do if you were me? What would you do to get out of the slump and escape from Shlumpadinka-ville?

No comments:

Post a Comment