Thursday, August 6, 2009

Nashville: Buh-bye Miller Light

Alright, I’m not gonna lie. I am in no way a long distance runner. Yet, there was a moment back in college when I would run 5-7 miles a day like it was no big thing, so I’m trying to bring back those glory days. (wish me luck!) It all started on a random Tuesday when I got the ever so brilliant idea to run a half marathon - which is a whopping 13.1 miles - and now that I have an official blog there’s no turnin back!

Wednesday: So we went this morning!!! Me, Ben and Sadie in tow...actually she was leading...I was the slow one. But ya know, I told Ben to just call me "tortoise" because slow and steady wins the race! I did not stop for a breather or anything so I’m super stoked even if I had a super slow pace.

Thursday: Arg. I got up at 5:45 in the AM to do this to myself??? It would not have been quite the ass kicking if maybe I wasn’t sore and maybe I hadn’t drank beer the night before and maybe if I didn’t have 2 year old tennis shoes that squeak as I run…but I digress…I did get out of bed and Bicentennial Park here we come!
Ben: “Let’s start running here today.” (a spot much earlier than yesterday)
Me: insert Are You Crazy?!?! look here. “Alright fine.”
Me: “Um, Ben….I think you’re running a lot faster than yesterday.”
Ben: “No. I’m not.”


A couple of minutes go by….
Me: “Are you sure you’re not running any faster?”
Ben: “No. I’m not.”
So in my mind I begin to swear off all things barley and hops related and promise myself I’m getting some new kicks ASAP.


Another few minutes and now people at the farmer’s market across the street can hear me panting and wheezing like a 60 old lady who smoked 8 packs of Marlboro reds per day...
Me: “Babe, this pace IS faster!”
Ben: “I promise it’s not.” As he starts to do side steps/run backwards/old football drills – in a nutshell - he’s smokin me.

It comes to a point where I have to walk. I said it. Walk. and I don’t even think I had run a mile…sigh…this happens not once, but twice. So long Miller Lite, nice knowin’ ya! We finish our run with me a huffin' and a puffin' and start heading back as Ben leans over with a smile and says, “I was going a lot faster.” ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment