Monday, August 31, 2009

Tunica: Country Girls = Ultimate Athletes

First of all I'd love to point out that my blogging partner in Nashville has fallen awfully behind on her blog postings. Is this because she has quit running? Is this because she started grad school today? Is this because she doesn't love me anymore? All of these questions remain unanswered until she gets her purdy butt back online to blog for us. I know all her adoring fans out there miss her very much. :(

Okay so back to business. Last week was a very successful running week for The Bex and I, especially after coming back from vacation, and Bex had the stomach bug. So we waited until Tuesday to start our week-o-running and were very proud of ourselves. We did the standard 4-miler on Tuesday in Tunica. Then she invited me to come to her neck of the woods to run. Bex, Mr. Bex, and Baby Bex live in a beautiful farmhouse in Sara, Mississippi which is only about 15 minutes from Tunica. They live on the farm so we decided to mix things up a bit and RUN on the farm! It was great. Such a beautiful morning, watching the sun come up over the rice fields, jogging on uneven terrain made us feel like such the Ultimate Athletes. And we finished 6 miles lickity-split! While on this run I felt lucky to live in this part of the country where so many of our domestic resourses are grown, harvested, and sold. It is a beautiful place, come visit us anytime...Bex and I will put to you work! The only down side to running on the farm is that my beautiful orange and white Sauconys - laces and all - got extremely dirty. BUT the way I look at it, it is just one more sign that I am an Ultimate Athlete. Also, my lover-of-all-things-gadgets-husband has a nifty little contraption that is oh-so-helpful to dirty country running shoes. The Peet Boot and Wader Dryer from Cabela's is the ticket! You can hose your shoes off, inside and out, then stick 'em on the dryer and by the time you get home from work they will be dry and clean as can be! So great. I would encourage all Country Running Girls to purchase one.


So after a great country run, we decided to do our long run in the 'city' (and I use the term 'city' loosely, as the Town of Tunica is one square mile with a downtown consisting of a post office, drug store, bank, and a courthouse clock that has never worked). So on Saturday morning bright and early we ran our longest distance yet....7 miles! We were very proud of ourselves but our feet were KILLING US by the time it was all said and done. I kept telling Bex that it felt like one of my toenails had fallen of my left foot was killing me so bad! So when I got home and took off my shoes and socks sure enough my second toe on my left foot was black and blue all over (with toe nail still in tact...for how long, I'm not sure. It doesn't look like it'll last much longer). Gross, right? That particular toe has continued to get increasingly worse since Saturday, and is now swollen to the size of my thumb with an icepack on it under my desk as I type. While minor toe injuries are common in distance runners, they are a PAIN PAIN PAIN to deal with, I tell ya! Does anyone out there in blogworld have any helpful hints to dealing with and preventing a sprained toe? Help and guidance, please.


No comments:

Post a Comment