Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Tunica: A 5K, Sushi, and Swimmin'....sort of.

So this past Friday night Bex, her friend Lauren, and I ran the "Pale is the New Tan 5K" to benefit Melanoma research. The race was in Memphis off of Poplar on Ridgeway Loop. It was a great race full of energy and sunshine. We drove up together after work on Friday itching to go...all suited up...talking a mean game....getting pumped. We arrived and registered, got our goody bags complete with T-shirts (always an awesomeness item in a race goody bag...I love wearing my race T's and people always ask 'Oh, did you run a 5K?' like it is some big long distance not knowing it is really only 3 miles), coupons, little trial-sized lotions and face wash...you know, the usual for a race goody bag. There were about 500 people, a band, dogs on leashes tugging on their owners with anticipation. Young parents pushing decked-out running stollers with sleeping babies. It was a great evening to run and I could feel it! I felt like a million bucks. I felt like a runner. We all line up at the start line, stretching, chatting, checking our wristband GPS units to make sure they were working. Talking to runners around us about what a lovely evening it is...running for such a great cause. What a night. So the start sirens go off and we're off! The course was shaded with rolling hills through some residential areas. A nice course, all in all, but I was severely underwhelmed with my own performance. Bex and Lauren seemed to have the swing of things but around mile 2 I started to feel like the body of a Clydesdale with the speed of a tortoise. Not good. So I finished the 3.1 miles in 40. Long. Sweaty. Minutes. Again, sad story. But, it's like I say, sometimes you're the Kenyan, sometimes you're the fat white girl. Looks like if I dont get my act together most of my days are going to be filled with Fat White Girl Syndrome.



So after the race, we decided it was high time to reward ourselves and go out for SUSHI. Lauren and Bex love the Kyoto in Hernando (a neighboring city to Tunica for those of you who don't know). Everyone knows Kyoto...a "Chop Chop Place" as my dad calls it...where they make all that yummyJapanese food in front of you. Well, we were not interested in the chop chop, just the sushi bar that's inside the restaurant. The three of us ordered so much sushi that our waitress kept coming out saying, "Sorry it's taking so long, it's just that your is a really big order." Again, feeling like a Clydesdale. But when the sushi finally arrived, no holds barred...we demolished it. Yum City. For anyone in the area I highly recommend Kyoto in Hernando for their sushi. And chop chop, if you're into that.



And lastly to top off my oh-so-exciting weekend, something un-running-related. On Saturday I went to get my tires rotated and to get my hair done in Southaven (again, a neighboring city...we dont have anything in Tunica...must drive 30 minutes to get to anything. You're jealous, I know). I called Tom on the way home, "Whacha doin'?" I ask. "Oh, just playing with Webb and John Allen in the back yard." Webb is our 5 year old neighbor, John Allen is Tom's bff/Webb's step dad. "We have a surprise. Come home and see it." Great.

So I approach the house to nothing out of the ordinary. Upon entering the back yard I see Webb's Slip 'N Slide streched out on the grass. A good 'ole summer standby. I am semi-relieved to see it is something that Reba cannot immediatly destroy and I'll have to clean up later. However, upon rounding the corner to our back patio is when I see the real 'surprise.' Complete with 600 gallons of water, it's own filter and pump, and lawn chairs surrounding, is a 10-foot wide above ground pool. Yes you read that right. Above. Ground. Pool. Tom mentions that it was originally $89.99 but they were able to sweet-talk the girl at the Dollar General into giving it to them for $59.99. Tom is beaming he is so proud of this 'surprise,' as I slowing make my way over to inspect this hideous display of redneckness that is now in my once-lovely-and-grown-up back yard. "Oh, good." I sigh. At that point Webb busts through the fence in his swim trunks and yells, "Oh kewl!! A hot tub!!!!!" and promptly donns his goggles and jumps in. As we were sitting around the 'pool' (it pains me slightly to say it), I did mention to Tom and John Allen, "You know this is my worst nightmare, right? Sitting in lawn chairs around an above ground pool." Tom says, "What are you saying, you think you're too good for our new pool?" "Yes, actually, that's exactly what I'm saying." Is my honest reply.

Although an above-ground pool is not my most favorite surprise Tom has ever supplied, it was fun to watch Webb and Reba slashing in the water on such a hot August day. I even dunked in a few times to cool off on Sunday while hanging out with everyone. All in all a good weekend of running, sushi, and swimming!....sort of. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment