Sunday, February 28, 2010

10K and a Birthday

Disclaimer: There is a lot of non-running stuff in this post. Just lettin' you know.


Over the weekend Bex and I had planned to run in the Move it Memphis 10K on Saturday. Unfortunately, Bex came down with something and was way under the weather (don't worry, she's better now). I ran by my little 'ole self. My little 'ole self and about 749 other people. It was really fun, though! The weather was PERFECT. I had been waiting for a good sunny morning like this and FINALLY it came on Saturday.



The route was awesome...started on Beale Street at Handy Park, and went through the city, by the homes on the Bluffs, along the river, and back to Beale Street. I finished in 1:05:04. Under an 11 minute mile. Gotta love that. It was a great race and I hope to do it again next year. I am looking for another 10K (or longer) to do this coming Saturday. If anyone knows of one in the Memphis/North Mississippi area please let me know.


If you are thinking of taking up running, or taking your runs to the next level, there are three things you need to do:
  1. Find a 5K near you. If you are past the point of running a 5K, find a race distance you have not done before. 10K is the next step up, and 15K after that. Just Google '5K in Nashville,' or 'Half-Marathon in Little Rock' and find all sorts of race calendars in your area.
  2. Sign up and PAY THE RACE FEE. Now you have at least $25 invested in it.
  3. Tell 10 friends or family members your plan and try to recuit one person to come along with you to either run along side you, or wait for you at the finish line.

By doing these three things you will be invested financially and emotionally, thus becoming more likely to actually do it. While you're at it, why not treat yourself to a new running shirt or pants or something? Running while feeling cute never hurt!

Once you do one race, you will be addicted, trust me. You will get the FEVER and want to do more! Especially now that the weather seems to be cooperating. So if the Winter Blues have got you stuck in a rut, do a short fun race to get a jump-start on your bikini-ready bod. :)

After the 10K, I went home to shower and get ready for my neice Lilly's First Birthday!! We had such a fun time.My husband's youngest sister Myra aka my BFF and my SISTAFRIEND came in town for the occasion and we had a great time catching up! It was great to see her but I wish we could have had even MORE time together because I love her and she makes me laugh so hard. Here are a few pics of the day.

Don't you want to steal this child and claim her as your own?!?! She is too cute.

Lilly (standing) in her Pink Princess Tent from Aunt My. Her BFF Anna Lauren just had her 1st B'day, too!

Lovin' that smash cake!
A lady in Senatobia did the cakes...they turned out too cute and were DELISH
I thought I had more pictures but that's all for now. I am so bad about posting pics on the blog, aren't I? Sorry, guys.


On Sunday after church it was another gorgeous day! I needed a swim, but didn't want to be inside since the sun was shining so wonderfully! So I decided to try a bike/run combo. Bex and I have done this once before but I needed to do it again, as I feel as though we've been neglecting the bike lately.


So I did 8.5 miles on the bike and ran a 2 miler. Not too shabby. It took me about 50-55 minutes for the full workout. It was great! I am ready to increase distance as the weeks go by, in preparation for May 23.

Speaking of which...I have decided to do three small triathlons leading up to the Big Day at Memphis in May. Don't be too impressed, this is not as hard as it sounds. When I say 'do' three small tri's I mean like, do them by myself as a part of my training. Just to make sure I can combine all three sports and have my endurance level where it should be.


When training for the Half-Marathon, we planned out our long runs, increasing each long run in preparation for THE long run. So I am doing the same thing....sort of....with the Tri training. Here's the plan:
  • March 20: Swim 1/4 mile, Bike 12, Run 3.1
  • April 10: Swim 1/2 mile, Bike 16, Run 4
  • May 15: Swim 1 mile, Bike 20, Run 5
  • May 23 - RACE DAY!: Swim 1 mile, Bike 25, Run 6.2
I think that setting these small goals will work well for me. I was just feeling like the Olympic distance which I am working towards was feeling so daunting. So right now my goal is to get to March 20 with this mini-tri in mind.



One last thing...when I came in from my workout on Sunday I was welcomed by these two cuties. As most of you know, Tom and I do not have human children, but we do have two beautiful four-legged daughters, Reba and Dolly.We got Reba when she was 8 weeks old, right after we got married. She is a red-colored Golden Retriever. I just really wanted a Red Retriever named Reba (after who else...only the most beautiful and talented red head in country music) and Tom loved the idea. She is the sweetest girl and LOVES her daddy. When Tom is around she doesn't want to have anything to do with anyone else! She knows how the sit, lay down, speak, shake, give 5, and give love. If you sing "Fancy" to her she will bark with joy! This picture was taken when she was about 10 weeks old. She now weighs about 70 pounds.
We are actually foster parents to Dolly Parton. We got Dolly this winter when the temps were dangerously low, and our little Tunica Humane Society needed help. When we met Dolly, she did not have a name. She was adorable, petite, and blonde, so naturally the only name that was suitable was Dolly Parton. She knows how to sit and get on the couch. That's about it. She is a good sweet girl but we are looking for a 'forever home' for her.
Have a great week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment