Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Side-Dish Recipes

I don't know where you live, but it is a beautiful day here in the Mississippi Delta!

Bex texted me yesterday to see if I wanted to do a 7-mile farm run with her this morning. Y'all might remember that Bex and her husband and cute baby live on her husband's family farm. They have a great house and their back yard it is a huuuuuuuge cotton field (or maybe it's corn or soy beans....they all look the same to me).

In the past we occasionally run on the farm in the turn rows, but it has to be dry otherwise you spend about 80% of your run stopping to knock off the clods of mud on your shoes.

I am normally not a fan of the farm run because of this. So when I got the text from Bex I thought, "Sheesh...I hate a farm run. But for Bex, I will do it."

So I met her at her house this morning and we were off! We did a 6.5 mile run and it felt great! It was a little slower going than usual, simply because of the terrain. But all in all it was such a beautiful morning and a great run. We did 6.5 miles in 1:16:40. Not too shabby for us.

Running on the farm, you feel so close to God because you are truly in God's Country! It is a great time to say a little prayer and have a chat with God when you are in His sanctuary like that.

I wanted to share a couple of recipes I've made lately....

Stuft Zucchini
This is a Paula Deen recipe that I altered slightly to make it a little more figure-friendly. I would recommend planning on 1 zucchini per person. This dish is 4 Weight Watcher points per zucchini.

Ingredients:

  • Two large zucchinis, cut in half length-wise
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • S&P
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 5 oz of cooked spinach, drained*
  • 1/2 cup fat-free shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup light sour cream
  • 1/2 cup boxed stuffing mix**
  • Hot sauce (optional)

*All frozen spinach comes in 10oz boxes. I used half of one because I was only making it for me and Tom. I reserved the rest for another recipe.

**I use Pepperidge Farm Seasoned Stuffing Mix. I keep a big bag of it on hand because it keeps forever, and it is great in many recipes.

Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees
  • Spread EVOO on cut side of zucchini and season with S&P
  • Place on a lined cookie sheet, cut side down, and bake for 15 minutes and let cool. Scoop out insides of zucchini, leaving the shells in tact. Set pulp aside.

Look at that zucchini pulp...looks like baby food, huh? Kinda gross, but trust me on this one.

  • Sautee onion and garlic in EVOO in a large saucepan for about 5 minutes, until onions are tender.
  • Add spinach, cheese, sour cream, stuffing mix, and pulp to saucepan with onion and garlic. Add the hot sauce at this time if you want to add a little more heat. I would recommend it. Heat through, only about 3 minutes.
  • Spoon mixture into the zucchini shells and top with a little more stuffing mix if you want. Bake at 400 for about 15-20 minutes.

I had some of the spinach-cheese-zucchini mixture left over so I popped some in a ramican, topped with cheese and paprika, and baked it for like 12 minutes and voila....Spinach Zucchini Dip!

So yesterday was Cinco de Mayo and in honor of our Latino neighbors to the South, we had friends over for burgers, french fries, and margaritas. Okay, so it was a little more like 'Cinco de Mississippi,' but whatev.

It was a very impromptu get-together so we just made what I had on-hand which was burgers and french fries. I made those awesome frozen Ore Ida Krinkle Fries, but I also made some....

Sweet Potato Fries

I really 'winged' this recipe and hoped for the best. I would recommend using 1 large sweet potato for every two people you're serving. This dish is 3 Weight Watchers points per serving.

Ingredients:

  • 2 large sweet potatoes cut into 1/2 inch strips or wedges
  • 1/4 cup Canola oil*
  • 1/2 Tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • S&P

*Depending on how big your sweet potatoes are, you might need more oil. Just make sure all your 'fries' are coated in the oil before baking.

Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  • In a large bowl, coat sweet potatoes in oil and add seasoning.
  • Spread in one layer on a lined cookie sheet.
  • Bake for about 30 minutes. Note: check on them after 25 and try one. Use your best judgement as to if they need more time. Some people like theirs crispy on the outside, some....notsomuch.

Sorry, above is the only picture I took of the potatoes last night. I had about one thousand margaritas and forgot to take more.

Random Pics below....

Here we are at the Muddy Muddy Music Festival this past weekend! Tom was such a good husband (even though I had a very bad attitude all weekend) and came with me to work up there every day. Such a sweetie. It made all the difference in the world having him there to bring me food and giant carni Lemonades! I believe that is Widespread Panic playing in the back ground.

And would you wook at dis sweet widdle girl?!?!! Wuv her.

No comments:

Post a Comment