Thursday, April 15, 2010

Girl's Best Friend: UPDATE

Well, I just got back from the Dredded Dolly Drop-off.


I first want to say thank you to everyone that commented, called, and texted me in regards to Dolly's departure! I know this is turning out to be a little more dramatic than necessary, but sometimes I'm a little more dramatic than necessary. :)


The rescue society I worked with, Good Dog Rescue in Memphis specializes in adopting dogs out to deserving families in the New England states. I did not know this, but apparently they have a dog shortage up there. Who knew, right?!


Here in the South, and especially in the rural areas such as the Delta, the homeless dog population is growing and growing. We also have more of a problem with dog fighting rings, and puppy mills than in other parts of the country. It is sad, but true. So Memphis is a perfect location for a company like Good Dog Rescue.


Good Dog works with a wonderful transportation company that drives the dogs from Southern cities all the way up to New England to be with their new families. So today, I dropped Dolly off with that transportation company and she was on her way!


I have to tell you I thought I had my act together. I thought that getting my feelings out in that last post would do the trick and I wouldn't get too emotional. Um, no such luck.


I cried like a baby. You would have thought Dolly was my first born daughter. I cried, like, harder than I cry when the Biggest Loser contestants get a phone call home and the men cry when their little girls get on the phone and say, "When are you coming home, Daddy?"


I was a wreck.


But not Dolly! She did great. She sat by my side as we waited our turn, and she wagged her tail enthusiastically as they loaded her into her crate. I gave her a chew treat and a T-shirt of mine to take on the trip. She was more concerned with her treat than with me when the time came to say good bye.


So that made me feel better, that she was not scared and shaking. And the guy that loaded her into the crate was so sweet, calling her "Darlin" and "Little Girl."


One of the other foster parents there saw me crying and came over to say hi. She said, "I overheard you say this was your first time as a foster, and I just wanted to tell you that I cried all day when I gave away my first foster dog. I cried so hard I couldn't go back to work that afternoon, and had to have my friends come pick me up." She was really sweet and made me laugh.


So as I'm snotty and crying and clutching my dog like she's going to the gas chamber, I am made aware of the fact that there is a camera crew there filming a documentary for the Animal Planet. Perfect. They didn't interview me or anything, so with any luck my mascara-smeared face won't be all over TV in a few months.


It was not as bad as I had thought it would be. Obviously since she didn't really know what was going on, Dolly was in much better spirits than I was.


I have also found out that the family she is going to live with has adopted a dog through Good Dog Rescue in the past. They adopted another female yellow lab in December and guess what her name is....Molly.


Like I said, Best. Case. Scenario.

No comments:

Post a Comment