Tuesday, April 13, 2010

True Beauty: updated

There has been a lot of media hype lately about Heidi Montag and her 10, count 'em TEN plastic surgeries she had done to her already-impressive body. I always liked her, kind-of, and never really understood why she married a huge douche bag like Spencer Pratt. But that's another post for another day...."Why nice girls marry douche bags"....but I digress.
This is a picture of her pre-surgeries:
I think this picture is adorable! She's got curves up top, and great abs. Her legs look toned, as a result of good genes, I assume, and not miles and miles of road running, sprint intervals, and biking into the wind. But whatev. Must be nice.
Then yesterday, this picture surfaced, taken at a pool side party at a Las Vegas hotel:
Seeing the before and after here just makes my heart hurt for her. *WHY*, one might ask, did she feel the need to get her body and face completely remade so that she looks like a Stepford Wife? And not in a good way. Like, in a creepy robotic way.

She claims it is because she wants to be the 'best version of herself,' and to further her career in 'major motion pictures.' Yes, she said that, she really thinks she is going to become the next Julia Roberts. That, in itself, is sad to me.

Why do you think she did it?

To be 'accepted' in the 'industry?'
Does she suffer from some serious body image issues?
Or was it that evil Spencer Pratt?
Probably all of the above but my money's on Spencer. Even if he DIDN'T talk her into having all the surgeries, why didn't he talk her OUT of it?

So your wife is insecure about her large nose, or her mequito-bite boobies....sure, I can see supporting your spouse if they want to make a minor improvement to their appearance and increase confidence. But this? As her husband, he seriously encouraged this? It's just unreal to me.

I'll be honest, when I started working out regularly and eating better, it was out of vanity. I hated my sausage arms, waistline pooch, and what I thought were thunder thighs. Then, as I began working hard and making changes to my body, I noticed a change on the inside, too.
I feel more confident. I carry myself differently. I respect my body more than I used to. I am proud of myself for doing it the hard way. I am proud of myself for setting a goal and not taking my eyes off the prize.


At the end of the day, it's not about how many points you eat, or how many miles you log, it's about getting a place where you feel healthy, confident, and secure.


And I don't know...maybe this is Heidi's place. Maybe this is her 'dream body.' But then again, Spencer Pratt is her dream man, so we know she's not completely stable.


On the flip side of the celebrity coin, Jessica Simpson has a new show on VH1 called "The Price of Beauty." She, along with Ken Paves and Cacee, travel the globe testing out all the beauty practices of different cultures around the world. Jessica has said many times that experiences other cultures beauty treatments has made her see what 'beauty' really is, and see herself in a whole new light. She respects herself more, she accepts her curves as part of what makes her beautiful, and recognizes that beauty is so much more than highlights and silicone.
What's YOUR idea of true beauty?
After publishing this post, I decided to updated it with some pictures of what I consider 'true beauty:'

No comments:

Post a Comment