Friday, April 23, 2010

Show Us Your Life Friday

I have sort of gotten away from participating in Kelly's Korner 'Show Us Your Life Friday' because typically they are about subjects that don't really relate to this blog. But this one I had to do just because I think the topic is so fun.
Show Us Your Life Friday: How You Met Your Husband
Back in....let's see...I guess it was summer of 2006 I was working at the Opryland Resort in Nashville. We hired a new assisant that was a lot like me, same age, same interests, and we began to figure out we had a lot of the same friends. She and I began going out together, showing up at all the same parties, and talking about boys over our lunch breaks. We got to be the best of friends!
On day she said, "I am having a big party at my house this weekend. My brother is coming into town for it to fry catfish. His girlfriend just dumped him and he has been a big giant baby about it. You need to come and be his date!"
And that 'brother' was Tom!
But there's more....
So we met at Myra's party that weekend and I am not kidding when I say it was love at first sight, for me at least. He was totally my type....tall, beefy, Southern, gentleman...the works.
Tom, as I later found out, was still very hung-up on the ex (BTW, I have since met her, and she is a very nice cute girl so no hard feelings there).
The first time we met was on that Friday night (before the party on Saturday afternoon) at a Nashville sports bar that did Kareoke on Fridays. Tom sang "They Call Me The Fireman" by George Strait and I thought it was sooooooo cute and funny. He is a firefighter in real life. Ha!
On Saturday I had my game face on. I flirted my heart out all. day. long. And it worked! We hung out all day at Myra's party and went to the honkey tonks on Broadway that night. And we may or may not have shared a beer-induced kiss. Or two. In public.
So he gets my number and promises to call. He called me on Sunday on his way back to Tunica and invited me to come in to Tunica in a few weeks. I mentioned to him that I wasn't sure if that was the *best* idea because of his recent break-up. I flat out told him I did NOT want to be the rebound girl and I wasn't getting into this if there was still unfinished business with his ex-girlfriend. He assured me it was OVER no way no how were they getting back together.
So we talk every day on the phone...sometimes twice a day...and I am looking forward to seeing him again. Until I get a TEXT MESSAGE one morning. That's right a TEXT MESSAGE that I'll never forget...it said, "Might need to reconsider your trip here. [The Ex] is here."
Furious does not begin to discribe how I felt. So I promtly called him to not-so-politely explain how I felt about this bunk-ass TEXT MESSAGE. And that was it. He and [The Ex] were giving it another go. Whatev.
Fast forward 6 months. I dated a couple of other guys but really never stopping thinking about Tom. I seriously loved him and wanted to marry him!! No joke.
About two weeks before his birthday I had told Myra (we are like BFF by this point dispite the fact that I hate/love her brother) I was going to call him on this birthday. I just thought I'd make one last attempt to weasle my way into the back of his mind before calling it quits. And I decided if nothing happens after this I'll push him out of my mind forever (so dramatic, I know).
About a week later....ONE WEEK BEFORE Tom's birthday....I get a frantic phone call from Myra. I answered the phone and she said, "Tom and [The Ex]." and paused for dramatic effect. I just knew she was going to tell me they were engaged. My stomach hurt. I was crushed. Until she said, "DUNZO."
Whaaaaaaaaa?!?!!? Victory!
Try as she might, [The Ex] just couldn't love Tunica enough to stay there and spend her life with Tom. They had a lot of issues anyway. I think she really did love Tom, but they just couldn't make it work. I took this as a sign. My chance to make a break for it!
So I called him on his birthday, went to visit him a month later, and after six months of late nights on the phone, and wearing out I-40 between Nashville and Memphis, we were engaged!
Dispite the distance, loving each other came so easily for us. I was so tired to all the game-playing that goes along with dating in your 20's and Tom was so matter-of-fact about his feelings for me. We fell in love very quickly and the rest is history!
Siiiigggggghhhhh...I love that story.
We have been married since August of 2008 and have so much fun together! I can't wait to continue on this journey with him and watch our relationship and our family grow.
If he's reading this he's probably cringing with embarrassment right now!!!! ha ha....

No comments:

Post a Comment