Friday, October 1, 2010

Thanks to those of you who commented, texted, called, emailed, and prayed for us last week. It was a long week, but we all had each other to lean on so that made it slightly less painful.

We have been spending time with friends and remembering the wonderful, fun, funny times with Parker. His funeral was Thursday and it was a beautiful service on an amazingly beautiful day. God blessed us with such perfect, comfortable weather.

On Thursday night many friends and family came over and we stayed up until 3am drinking whiskey and jamming out to some of Parker's favorite songs. Singing and dancing and loving on each other late into the night. It was a wonderful time and I like to think that he was happy to see us having a late-night dance party in his honor!

I have kind of a neat story to share. I also debated writing about this because it's a little sad also, but we were able to find the silver lining. :)

On Thursday afternoon, Tom, Myra, and I returned home to our house after the funeral. As we were walking through our car port Tom pointed to the ground and said, "Y'all. What is that?"

We looked down, and there on the concrete was a tiny, squirming, screaming kitten. It looked like a rat at first, but sure enough it was a kitty.

She was teeny-tiny and black, not a spec of white on her. She still had her eyes closed and her umbilical cord attached. Tom thought she seemed to be about 24-48 hours old.

So we gently scooped her up and took her inside. For the next day or so I fed her every two hours with a seringe. She was a hungry little girl...gulped down 1/2 teaspoon every two hours!

She was so tiny so the process was tedious, but we were every gentle with her. She made it through Thursday night and all day on Friday. Late Friday night (really Saturday morning I guess) I got up to feed her at about 2am. Unfortunately when I went to pick her up I noticed she was no longer breathing. She had gone to heaven. Of course I had a complete emotional meltdown, what with all the sadness around us lately. Now this? It was very sad. My crying and sniffling woke up Tom and he assured me that we had done all we could do. There are just those few crucial days when these baby animals need their mama to survive.
At first I was really mad and sad that this had happened on the heels of another tragedy. But then I realized that if it weren't for us, Itty Bitty Kitty would have died cold and alone outside, probably starved or eaten by another animal. Instead she was warm in our house, snuggled in an old T-shirt with a full belly.
Siiiigggggghhhhhh...it has been a long week.

Now it is Monday and we are back to reality. Isn't it funny how when our lives are turned upside down, we completely forget that the rest of the world keeps on turning, and time does not stop for anyone?

When my alarm went off this morning I was soooooo pissed I had to get out of bed and come to work. But then I realized that if we didn't have work, and a house to keep clean, and a dog to feed, and laundry to do, and dinner to cook, we would just wallow in our own sadness and maybe never get out of bed.

I have not done a single workout in two. whole. weeks.

But I am going to keep at it. I'll amend my training schedule a little and get back to the grind tonight, hopefully!

Have a great week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment