Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day Weekend

Hey guys....sorry I haven't been a very consistent blogger lately.

I haven't really felt like I've had anything exciting to say. :(

I think it's because I've been a slacker in the work-out department, taking it easy up until now because this week marks the first official week of St. Jude Training.

As I mentioned, I am still thinking of posting a page about my training, but haven't gotten around to it. Stayed tuned for that.

So for now I'll just post my weekly plan and keep you updated in regular posting.

Here's what I had on the agenda for this week:
  • Sunday: Rest
  • Monday: 5 miles/Legs
  • Tuesday: 1 hour swim
  • Wednesday: 6 miles/arms
  • Thursday: Cross train
  • Friday: Rest
  • Saturday: Rest

This week is a little funky because a.) I normally try to swim on Mondays but the Aquatic Center was closed for Labor Day and b.) I'll be out of town Friday-Sunday with no time or resources to work out. So we'll resume a more 'normal' training week beginning on the 13th, I hope.

To start the week off right, I did do a 5 miler last night. I HATE running in the evenings but I just could not peel myself out of bed yesterday morning!

It was waaaaaaaay too hot to be running outside, with no cloud cover and about 93 degrees. But I made it through my 5 miles (including a short 1/2 mile walk break) in 56:41. This is a 11:15 pace. Boooooooooo.

This was much slower than I would have liked but it was just a bad afternoon for a run. It was super windy, and I felt like I was getting tossed all over the road. O-well, back at it on Wednesday morning to redeem myself.

So how was your Labor Day weekend?

Ours was great. Around here, Labor Day weeekend marks the opening season of Dove Season. We always get a group together and go to a big dove hunt in the afternoon, and just hang out in the evening and watch football.

Here are a few pics:

Tom took the top off our Jeep for the occasion! He has a 1986 blue Jeep Scrambler that he treats as though it's our first born child. It is fun to ride around in during hunting season.
Also, notice that scruff on his face? Dove seaons = the beginning of BEARD SEASON!


Part of the gang at the hunt!
Me and Gunner (Brian's dog)
Life is hard for Tom and Brother Brian
I enjoyed the hunt from the comfort of my lawn chair with:
...a giant thermos of whiskey-and-diet-coke. Doesn't fall and football season make you wanna have a whiskey drink? Maybe it's just me...



And last night we had this for dinner:
Dove Kabobs and Dove roll-ups!
They sound weird but they are soooooo good! Tom marinaded the dove breasts in Italian dressing and Whorchestershire sauce. He put some on the kabobs with bell peppers and red onions, and little bacon to keep them from drying out.
With the rest he rolled up with a slice of cream cheese, a few pickled jalapenos, and wrapped them in bacon.
Soooooooo good, I'm telling you. When prepared like this, the dove just tastes like chicken. I need to make kabobs more...they're such an easy way to brighten up a boring 'ole chicken or steak dish.
So anyway, that's our weekend in a nutshell. Back to work this week!
Have a great Tuesday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment