Thursday, January 20, 2011

Friend-Filled Friday

Happy Friday Gals!

Last night I had a great workout at the gym.

When I got off work, it was WIND-EEEEEE and snowing. I debated going home and cuddling up on the couch with Tom and Reba but used my super-will-power to go to the gym for a lovely sweatfest.

Since it had been snowing all afternoon there were literally five people there. It was kind of cool to be able to run and sweat on the treadmill in T-shirt and shorts, while watching it snow outside.

I did:
  • 45 minutes on treadmill (ran 40, walked incline for 5)
  • 15 minutes on the elliptical
  • 15 minutes weights and abs (Cocktail Dress Arms!)

Then I scurried home to pack for this weekend.

I am so excited because this afternoon I am leaving for Birmingham to visit one of my dearest friends, Jessica. Jessica opened her home for all us girls to host a baby shower for our friend Christina.



Christina and her husband Marcus have such a sweet story....they were each other's date to the first football game of the season waaaaaay back in 2001. She was a freshman and he was a sophmore (I think I got that right) at the University of Alabama. They have been together ever since!In 2006 they got married, and have been trying for the past year or so to grow their family. After lots of time, praying, money, more praying, emotional stress, one more prayer for good measure....they are expecting a little girl in March!



Yes, that Coyote Ugly dancer there in the middle there is going to be a mother in a few short weeks:



These pictures were taken at her bachelorette party about 137 years ago....

And I cannot be sure, at this moment, why an arm wrestling match took place at her bachelorette party right there in the restaurant, but it most certainly did happen.
Anyway, this is the first baby of our friend group and we are all so excited to be 'aunts!' Christina and Marcus are amazing, wonderful, intelligent, fun-loving people who just DESERVE to be parents, you know?!


I cannot wait to see their first little miracle when she arrives!

My group of college friends is so special...
We have about 13 girls in our group, and we are all very close. We were in the same pledge class in our sorority and have been through looooooots of craziness/fun/sad/exciting changes in life together.
We have experienced all our big-time milestones together....


Graduations, First Jobs, Engagements, Weddings (7 down, 2 scheduled for this summer)

Together we have gained so many things...

Jobs
Boyfriends
Fiancees
Husbands
Step-Parents
Step-Siblings
Degrees
Confidence
Sisters
Homes
Dogs
A baby
Roommates
Respect for each other


And lost so many things.....
Parents' marriages
Friends
Boyfriends
Jobs (again)
Pets
Bad Hair
Really, really bad hair
The urge to stay out until 3am
And we just plain love each other

We are scattered all over the country, so we only see each other once or twice a year,But when we do, it is like no time has passed at all.
It's like we are right back in Tuscaloosa,Dying each other's hair out of a box,
Eating Quick Grill at 4 in the morning,
Putting on make-up side-by-side in the sorority house bathroom,

Studying for finals,

Complaining about the elevators in Tutwiler,
Trading clothes, and shopping for costumes to wear to date parties. I am so thankful for this group of strong, capable, beautiful women in my life! Although I live the middle of no where and have turned into a country bumpkin and now say things like, "Damn it boy," and "Oh my stars" they still love me and put up with me.


This weekend will be a much-needed time in the 'Big City,' and with friends like these I might just not come home! :)


Have a great weekend, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment