Monday, January 3, 2011

Sew Sweet

Happy Tuesday everyone!

I wanted to write a little today about another new 'hobby' I got for Christmas.

After reading, this post, my mom came up the great idea to get me a sewing machine for Christmas! She found a great deal on one, and I was so excited to get it on Christmas morning.

This machine is a Singer Inspiration 4228. Nothing too fancy, no digital screen or crazy stitches and fonts. My limited experience with it, has been that it's a great beginner machine for do-do's like me who barely know what they're doing and have to consult the manual every three minutes.



It's relatively easy to thread (I did it all myself which is no small feat), and I have not had a single problem with it so far.

Right after I got it, I ran up to Fred's and bought some seriously cheap thread. Cheap Fred's Thread...say that five times fast.

It was only like $.30 a spool and it was not good. It kept on getting snagged and was messing up the machine. I was a little discouraged but decided to give it a break until I was able to get some better thread.

So over the weekend I ran up to Joann's (love Joann's!) to get some starter supplies.

By the way, I have absolutely NO IDEA what I'm doing here, okay? I didn't even consult the internets before I went up there. I just went and got what I thought I'd need to just get started at least practicing.

So anyway, I got a little variety back of thread (threads?) by what seems to be a good brand. It was what they had the most of so I figure it's popular.

Hey...wait a minute...what are you doing here?

Two hobbies at once....don't judge....Isolated Country Life + Few Friends = Hobbies-A-Plenty.

*Speaking of* life in the country....

Last night as I was fiddling with my machine I looked in the mirror over the table and realized I still had on my apron from making meatloaf earlier in the night.

I saw my tomato-sauce-smeared-apron and bits of thread and fabric clinging to my disheveled hair as I sat behind my sewing machine and thought, "Who am I?"

"How did I get here?"

Moving on....

At Joann's I also got a few fabric quarters that were only $2 each. If you're like I was a mere 48 hours ago and don't know what a fabric quarter is....it's a quarter-yard square of fabric that pre-cut. Most fabric stores have them in a variety of colors and patterns.

I also got a few holiday styles that were like 70% off.

I also got some good scissors, pins, a little case to carry everything in (carry where, I'm not sure...) and all that good stuff.

Here is a very shiny picture Tom took of me with the first item I completed:
Beautiful, yes? It's a flour sack dishtowel with a 'W' sewn on it in Valentine fabric. You're impressed, I can tell. Please don't be jealous that you're not as talented as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment